When spring arrives, East Texas homeowners know it’s time to schedule annual spring A/C maintenance. A yearly air conditioner tune-up will ensure the cooling system is ready to go for another long summer. While you can complete a few A/C maintenance steps on your own, you’ll want an experienced HVAC technician to perform a comprehensive tune-up.
What will an HVAC technician do during a routine A/C maintenance call? Some tasks will be A/C specific and others will impact the entire HVAC system. Your HVAC pro will:
- Check the thermostat and its settings to make sure you’re getting the most out of the programming.
- Check and tighten loose electrical connections, along with voltage and other specs on compressor and air handler motors. An electrical issue can put your A/C out of commission.
- Lubricate all moving parts to avoid equipment-damaging friction. A well-oiled motor will use less energy.
- Inspect the condensate drain in the central A/C, furnace or heat pump to make sure it’s not clogged or contaminated with mold or bacteria. A blocked drain can result in water damage in your home.
- Make sure system controls are working correctly both in “on” and “off” modes.
- Clean the indoor evaporator and outdoor condensing coils in a split-system air conditioner. Coils coated with grime or dust impede the vital heat-exchange process that’s essential to air conditioning. You’ll pay higher bills and the system will be more prone to breakdowns.
- Measure and adjust the A/C’s refrigerant level. If it’s low, inspect for leaks in the coils or lines.
- Adjust system airflow. If the airflow doesn’t meet system specs, it can reduce efficiency markedly.
A/C Maintenance Tasks Homeowners Can Tackle
As with any forced-air HVAC system, you’ll want to inspect and, if necessary, change the air filter once a month. Keep yard debris like leaves and grass clippings away from the outside condensing unit, and make sure indoor air registers aren’t blocked by furniture, drapes or rugs.
To schedule a comprehensive A/C maintenance visit this spring, contact the heating and cooling pros at Bradbury Heating & Air Conditioning. We supply superior service to The Woodlands, Conroe, Montgomery and nearby communities.
Image via Shutterstock.com