You should check out Energy.gov’s infographic, How an Air Conditioner Works for the best visual of components that make the A/C magic happen. And make no mistake; it’s like magic, turning humid, warm air into clean, cool air that is safe for your home and family.
Common A/C Problems
We can’t live without air conditioning. Literally. Because A/C is such a valuable part of our lives, it’s a good idea to know as much as possible about HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) for our homes and businesses.
The most common air conditioner problems are refrigerant leaks, inadequate maintenance, thermostat sensor problems, and electric control failures. Some electrical failures can cause or be the result of faulty wiring in an air conditioner.
Faulty Wiring in an Air Conditioner
Your electrical appliances pull a whopping amount of current from your main electrical unit, and air conditioners take a lot of energy to power on and off.
Frayed and broken wiring comes under the “inadequate maintenance” umbrella of common air conditioner problems. A/C faulty wiring problems can be headed off at the pass when you have a Bradbury Brothers Heating and Air Conditioning Maintenance Plan, in which we thoroughly inspect your HVAC system’s wiring at least twice/year.
Here are signs of faulty air conditioner wiring issues that can lead to dangerous – even life-threatening – situations in your home or office:
- Breaker tripping – This is a failsafe process to protect your family and home; without it, a major fire could occur anytime.
- Damaged components – If you have a component failure – like the electrical component that powers your fan – there could be a small short or a frayed wire within the walls. Call us.
- Exposed wiring – Bare wires are dangerous, plus they can allow damaging moisture into the A/C electrical system. They need to be immediately repaired/replaced.
- Intermittent power – Another protective measure may cause your overheating unit to stop (cool down) and start again. Call us.
- Thermostat wiring – Upgrading a thermostat is a DIY (do-it-yourself) job but only if you understand the wiring situation behind the thermostat.
Let us ensure thermostat wiring is in-place, secure, unbroken, and routed freely before you upgrade your thermostat.
It’s that time of year when our friends and neighbors have their heating units “tuned-up,” but if you’re new to the neighborhood or scheduling your first maintenance visit, we’ll ensure your entire HVAC system is good to go! There may be some upgrades you’ll need for next year or the year after, but for right now, we’ll make sure there are no goblins hiding in your heating/air conditioning unit. Call Bradbury Brothers Heating and Air Conditioning, 281.651.5484 or 936.271.2030 today!