Do you prefer to get your annual HVAC maintenance in summer or winter? Actually, it’s important to schedule maintenance twice a year—in the spring, before cooling season starts, and in the fall, before heating season starts. That’s the best way to ensure that your equipment runs right all year long. Here’s why.
It won’t be long here in our region before we’ll be turning the air conditioners on again, and they do get a workout through our long, muggy summers. When you call your HVAC technician to service your air conditioner, you’ll want to discuss the various checkup points for your equipment. Specific to the cooling system are these tasks:
- Clean the evaporator and condenser coils to ensure they keep the home cool, to reduce energy costs and to prolong the life of the equipment.
- Check the refrigerant level, adding as needed to ensure efficient operation.
- Clean the blower and adjust components as needed to ensure efficiency.
If you have a gas furnace, the technician should check connections, burner combustion, the heat exchanger (looking for cracks) and gas pressure. Not keeping these systems clean can result in fire hazards and cause health problems. Improper burner operation or a cracked heat exchanger may result in carbon monoxide leaking into the home.
If you have a heat pump, the technician should turn on the auxiliary strip and inspect it, then check wiring for heat damage and discoloration, replacing all damaged wires.
Whenever you schedule HVAC maintenance, have the technician do the following:
- Check thermostat settings and controls.
- Make sure all electrical connections are tight to prevent unsafe operation.
- Measure motors’ voltage and current.
- Lubricate moving parts to reduce friction and reduce energy use.
- Check the condensate drain for obstructions that could cause water damage and increase humidity.
Regardless of the time of year, regularly inspect the air filter and change it when it’s dirty or damaged.
To learn more about maintaining your HVAC system for summer or winter, contact Bradbury Brothers Heating & Air Conditioning. We serve The Woodlands, Conroe and the surrounding area.