The fall season has arrived, which means it’s time for a series of focused tasks that will help improve your household comfort level and maintain a healthy use of energy. We’ve compiled some of our favorite fall home maintenance tasks right here:
- Service the system – Now that you’ll be using the furnace again, you should get it serviced by a professional HVAC technician. Scheduling a tune-up once a year will help the system achieve its optimal energy efficiency.
- Service other heating equipment – If you use other types of heating equipment, such as a fireplace or a space heater, check to make sure these systems are working properly before the colder months arrive.
- Maintain good airflow – For the heating system to work efficiently, make sure that certain areas like the dryer vent, stove hood, and room fans are clear of dust so air can flow unimpeded. This will also help you avoid dust and debris from entering the indoor air, which could lead to respiratory problems.
- Change the air filter – The furnace’s air filter has the important job of capturing dust and other pollutants before they’re distributed throughout your home. When this filter gets clogged up, not only does this negatively affect indoor air quality, but the furnace will also be forced to work harder. Replacement is usually recommended every 1 to 2 months, depending on use.
- Check the crawl space/foundation – Look under and around the foundation of your home for any standing water, which can be the perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew. Also clear out any critters who might have taken up residence.
- Check above your home – Gutters and downspouts get clogged up with leaves and other debris, and fall is the perfect time to clean them out. Also check for any damage to shingles or the chimney.
For more expert advice on fall home maintenance or any other questions related to home comfort, please get in touch with the knowledgeable technicians at Bradbury Brothers Heating & Air Conditioning. We’ve been servicing the HVAC needs of Conroe, Magnolia, Montgomery, Pinehurst, Shenandoah, The Woodlands, Tomball and surrounding areas for with over 25 years in the heating and cooling business.
Image via shutterstock.com