It seems as if everyone has a strong opinion about how often to replace HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) filters. There are so many factors involved in heating and cooling air filters that no one can state with surety what you need. First, it depends on your type of property.
If you have a very active building – a medical facility, for example – you’ll need to replace filters more frequently. If you have an indoor/outdoor building exposed to harsher elements, you will need to replace filters more often as well.
There are many variables influencing how often you need to change your HVAC filters. For example, if there’s a lot of temporary construction in your neighborhood, your filters may need replacement sooner than usual.
Other air filter factors include:
- Location – Construction and vehicular traffic are contributing factors to air pollution. A townhouse in a high traffic area may need HVAC filter replacement more often than a suburban home. Your vacation cabin on the lake might go as long as 6 months before a filter change.
- Occupants – Larger families need more frequent HVAC air filter changes.
- Pets – If your manufacturer recommends filter change every 90 days, consider 75 days if you have a pet that sheds. Consider 60 days if you have two hairy pets.
- Quality of indoor air – If you use your wood-burning fireplace often or if you allow cigarette smoking indoors, your air quality is more challenged. You should consider changing air filters every 30 days.
- Type of air filters – Check your manufacturer’s specifications.
Regular Price $99Available for a Limited Time Act now! View Details
Are You a DIYer?
Even the best DIYer (do-it-yourselfer) knows there are limits to what you can do yourself without specialized training. Changing your air filters is a standard DIY job. Professional HVAC maintenance and repair is not. Unless you’ve had HVAC training and continuing education – because technology raises the bar almost every year – you can do more harm than good.
You get what you pay for: When your well-maintained HVAC system operates efficiently, you’ll save money every month. Call 281-651-5484, 936-271-2030 or contact us to learn more about local HVAC maintenance. Because we live here too, we will be here when you need us.