Staying cool can be a challenge during the long, hot Texas summers. Air conditioner efficiency is essential for staying cool without spending a fortune on energy bills. While there are a number of ways to increase the cooling power of your air conditioner, nothing is more effective than annual professional A/C maintenance for maintaining A/C efficiency.
During your tune-up, the technician will perform as well as recommend a number of essential tasks to extend the life of your air conditioner, increase comfort, lower your energy bills and prevent common A/C problems:
Clean and Lubricate the System
- Clean the evaporator and condenser coils to ensure optimum heat transfer.
- Remove dust from the blower assembly, motor and other essential components.
- Clean and flush the condensate drain to prevent overflow and related water damage.
- Replace the air filter.
- Lubricate moving parts to reduce friction, which decreases efficiency.
Inspect Electrical Components and Test the Controls
- Clean and tighten electrical connections, which loosen over time.
- Inspect the terminals and wires for corrosion.
- Test the electric controls to ensure the system starts, runs and shuts off properly.
- Measure the voltage and current on the motor.
Check Airflow and Refrigerant Levels
- Measure the airflow to help prevent overheating and inadequate cooling.
- Replace the air filter if it’s dirty.
- Inspect the outdoor unit for obstructions that can restrict airflow and prevent optimum heat transfer.
- Measure the refrigerant level and inspect for leaks if it’s low. Refrigerant leaks harm the environment, reduce the cooling power of the system and cause the evaporator coil to freeze up.
Inspect External Components
- Check the accuracy of the thermostat.
- Inspect ductwork for loose joints, obstructions and damage.
Once your tune-up is complete, inspect the air filter monthly for dust buildup, and replace it if necessary to ensure optimum airflow, protect interior components and improve your indoor air quality.
For more information about the benefits of professional A/C maintenance, or to schedule your annual tune-up with one of our skilled technicians, please feel free to contact us at Bradbury Brothers Heating & Air Conditioning.
Image via Shutterstock.com