Warm weather comes early to our part of Texas, and that means we’ll be turning on air conditioners soon as well. Early heat waves aren’t unknown in The Woodlands area, so be sure you schedule your HVAC system maintenance soon.
You can get a jump on spring maintenance by tackling the monthly air filter change now. Use a good quality, pleated air filter for better indoor air quality. A dirty air filter will slow down airflow and can cause mechanical failure. Dirt on a filter is also a haven for mold, which can be a problem in our moist environment.
Other DIY Maintenance Tasks
- Clean debris on top of and around the outdoor compressor/condenser unit. Remove any weeds or other obstructions within a two-foot radius.
- Check inside the unit for leaves, grass clippings and other debris. Open the casing and remove leaves and other litter.
- Straighten condenser fins with a fin comb.
HVAC System Maintenance by a Pro
When you schedule annual preventive maintenance for your cooling system, expect the experienced technician to take the following actions:
- Check refrigerant charge, look for any leaks, and add more if needed.
- Test the thermostat settings to make sure the system responds to the demand for cool air.
- Make sure electrical connections are intact.
- Measure current and voltage on the system’s motors.
- Check controls by starting the equipment cycle to ensure it starts, runs and shuts off properly.
- Lubricate moving parts to avoid friction in motors.
- Inspect the condensate drain for obstructions and leaks.
- Clean the outdoor condenser coil and the indoor evaporator coil. Dirt on the coils inhibits the A/C’s ability to cool the home, causing it to run longer. This raises energy bills and reduces the equipment’s life.
- Adjust blower components for proper airflow. Improper airflow reduces the efficiency of the A/C by up to 15 percent. Clean the blower if needed.
For more on HVAC system maintenance, contact Bradbury Brothers Heating and Air Conditioning of The Woodlands. We also provide service to Conroe, Spring, Tomball and surrounding areas.
Image via Shutterstock.com