You’ve probably heard there are ways to cut heating and cooling costs, like closing off the vents in rooms that are seldom used. That’s what your grandparents did, so there must be something to it, right?
5 HVAC Hoax-Busters: Shutting the Vents
It’s frustrating when you discover a Facebook post is a hoax. If there were a “Snopes” for HVAC customers, one of the deceptions revealed would be that closing off vents and shutting room doors doesn’t save energy or money and can do just the opposite. Here’s the truth:
- Modern HVAC systems use pressurized forced-air to heat your home. Shutting vents skews the way the HVAC system “breathes.” That makes the entire system work even harder, trying to equalize your heating and cooling air distribution balance.
- Closing vents can damage your HVAC system’s blower. Whether you have a PSC (permanent split capacitor) or ECM (electronically commutated motor), each one strains to overcome air deprivation in the rooms where you’ve shut the vents.
- Air conditioning evaporator coils can “freeze up” and break as they work harder to compensate for blocked airflow.
- Your heater’s heat exchanger can overheat and crack as it struggles to force more warm air into your home.
- The process – heating up or cooling down – will take longer (and cost more).
Energy Savings Texas-Style
We live in an oil-and-gas state, so Texans know a lot about fuel efficiency and energy savings. The HVAC professionals at Bradbury Brothers Heating & Air Conditioning serve Conroe, Magnolia, Montgomery, Oak Ridge North, Shenandoah, Spring, The Woodlands, Tomball, and other nearby communities. What we know about is maximizing your HVAC equipment’s efficiency of operation with preventive maintenance. That’s just one of the ways we help our friends and neighbors realize energy savings. And when it’s time to replace your unit, we can offer the latest energy-efficient technologies.
Your home is probably your greatest asset; keeping that investment healthy and growing with “wellness checkups” is just common sense! Call 281-651-5484 or request a free quote online. We’ll visit your home or commercial property at a time that is convenient to you.