If you’ve examined the pros and cons of tankless water heaters and decided that tankless is the best option for you and your lifestyle, congratulations and thanks! You’ve made a green choice that will save up to 50% in energy costs, benefiting you and our ecology. This on-demand unit can also be wall-mounted for additional space savings.
Are Tankless Water Heaters Maintenance-Free?
Tankless water heaters may operate differently, but the same dynamics apply to the unit’s maintenance. Whether or not you need to schedule an annual maintenance inspection with your plumbing service depends entirely on your water heater’s age, water hardness, and usage. For example, if you have a new tankless water heater, use a water softener, and live alone, you may be able to go up to 5 years problem-free.
Some of the signs that tankless water heaters need professional service include:
- There’s a leak.
- The water isn’t hot enough.
- Your faucet is fine, but you have no hot water in your dishwasher or washing machine.
- Sometimes the water temperature is fine; sometimes it isn’t.
Annual DIY Maintenance
If you’re a DIY (do-it-yourself) homeowner, here’s a step-by-step annual maintenance process for your tankless water heater. Never use chemicals to clean your water heater.
- Turn off the (gas/electric) power source.
- Close both water valves.
- Remove the purge port valve caps.
- Attach a hose to the purge port valves.
- Open the purge port valves.
- Put 2½ gallons of white vinegar into the tank.
- Follow your manufacturer’s directions for flushing and draining.
- Close the purge port valves.
- Disconnect the hose lines from both water valves.
- Carefully replace the purge port valve caps.
Ask the professionals at Bradbury Brothers Services about the need for – and the price of – regular maintenance service. It’s probably less than you think and the long-term savings offset the cost. We have 24/7 emergency service, but routine maintenance may eliminate the added expense of an emergency visit. Call 281.661.4283 or contact us today for information, and be sure to print one or both of our discount coupons for repair and inspection!